Skip to main content

Academic Bankruptcy (Graduate)


If academic bankruptcy is granted, the bankrupted work will remain on the transcript but it will not be counted in the student's GPA and will not count towards degree requirements.  Students admitted to a new degree program under this policy will only be admitted with probationary status and must meet the requirements for probationary admission in order to maintain enrollment in the new graduate program. 

The student must state, in writing, his or her intention to declare bankruptcy to the Graduate School by completing the Bankruptcy Declaration Form.  The student will also specify which semesters are being requested for bankruptcy. The student may request to bankrupt any or all semesters of their prior work, but all work from a given semester will be bankrupted if the student requests to bankrupt that semester and if the request is approved.

The student may not have previously declared bankruptcy from Eastern.

Any student requesting bankruptcy of academic work must have been out of the previously enrolled program for a period of at least one year after attempting the work to be bankrupted.

The student must apply to a different graduate program than the one he or she was enrolled during the semester of the work to be bankrupted.

For further information regarding academic bankruptcy, you may contact the graduate school at

Open /*deleted href=#openmobile*/