Skip to main content

Academic Bankruptcy (Undergraduate)


If academic bankruptcy is granted, the bankrupted work will remain on the transcript; but it will not be counted in the student's GPA and will not count towards degree requirements, including the upper division hours requirement.  However, the dean of the college in which the student is enrolled may waive major, supporting, and general education requirements met by bankrupted courses (in which the student received at least a "C" or higher grade), while requiring the student to substitute elective courses equivalent in hours to those waived.

All academic course work, including bankrupted work, will be counted in computing graduation with honors.

The student must state, in writing, his or her intention to declare bankruptcy to the Office of the Registrar by completing the Bankruptcy Declaration Form.  The student will also specify which semesters are being requested for bankruptcy. Only semesters with a term GPA of less than 2.0 are eligible for bankruptcy and, within those eligible terms, only grades of "D", "F", or equivalent, may be bankrupted. 

The student may not have previously declared bankruptcy from Eastern.

Any student requesting bankruptcy of academic work must not have attended Eastern or any other institution of higher education during a period of at least two consecutive years following the time of the work to be bankrupted.

After being readmitted, the student requesting bankruptcy must attain a minimum of a 2.0 GPA with no grade lower than a "C" on ALL college-level (i.e. 100 or above) Eastern work up to and including the term in which the twelfth hour is attempted.  All courses and grades, including repeated courses, will be counted in computing the GPA.

For further information regarding academic bankruptcy, you may contact Shannon Tipton at

Open /*deleted href=#openmobile*/