Skip to main content

Graduation Application- FAQ's

Graduation Application FAQ's:

Q.  Can the GURUS help me?

A. YES... you can always stop by a GURU location to ask questions. 


Q. How do I apply to graduate?

A. Log into myEKU>Student Services Card>Student Profile>View Application to Graduate.


Q. How quickly will the hold be lifted?

A. The program that lifts the Graduation Holds runs every 30 minutes.  So, 30 minutes is the longest you will have to wait once you correctly submit an application.


Q. What if I do not create an academic plan in Degree Works?

A.  When your College Graduation Expert reviews your record, she/he will expect to see a plan that includes all graduation requirements.  If the plan is complete, your graduation goal will be approved.  If your anticipated graduation semester is neither reasonable nor possible, and your plan needs to be changed, you will be notified.


Q. What happens if I ignore the advice of my College Graduation Expert?

A.  It is very important that you have a complete, and reasonable, academic plan in Degree Works and that your stated graduation timeframe is possible.  Your College Graduation Expert will apply a hold and prevent you from adding/dropping/withdrawing from any classes until your academic plan in Degree Works, and your anticipated graduation term, are appropriate for your stated major.


Q. Will EKU kick me out if I don’t finish my degree by my graduation term on my application?

A.  No, the term you have on your application is just a goal, it is when you anticipate you might graduate.  If all things go as planned, and all courses are offered when you need them, and the stars are aligned just right, etc.   But life happens.  That anticipated graduation term may need to be adjusted.  Your College Graduation Expert will do that for you.  Contact her/him to discuss deferring graduation to a later semester, or it may be done for you after your application is reviewed, or after your final grades are reviewed. 


Q. What if I do not apply?

A.  You will have a hold that will prevent you from adding/dropping/withdrawing from any classes until this requirement is met.  Applying online is quick and easy, it only takes a few minutes.


Q.  Why should I apply now? I don’t think I will be graduating this year.

A.  EKU is committed to each student graduating in the most time efficient and cost effective route.  You cannot know what that route is until you go through Degree Works and carefully create your best, and most direct, route to graduation.  Even if your graduation semester is 4 or 5 semesters out there is great value to create a term-by-term plan in Degree Works, a firm graduation goal, and staying on track to reach that goal.  Yes, there is great value to going through the application process now.


Q. I tried to apply but my major is not listed on the application?

A.  You can only apply to graduate for the major that is listed on your Degree Works audit.  If you want a degree different from what is on Degree Works you must change your major first, before applying to graduate.  See your advisor to do this.  

However if your current major (as shown on Degree Works) is correct but is not showing up in myEKU when you try to apply to graduate -  then please email and the Registrar’s Office will check your records and help you resolve the issue.  Be sure to email from your EKU email account and include your name and EKU ID in your email.


Q. Who do I ask if I need help submitting an application?

A.  You can contact the College Graduation Expert for your major, speak with a GURU, or you can   


Q.  Will I be charged a graduation fee?

A.  Yes, once you apply to graduate with your baccalaureate degree the appropriate graduation fee will be applied to your account.  The fee for an undergraduate degree is $50.


Q. I am also earning a University certificate.  Do I have to submit an application for that as well as for my degree?

A.  YES.  You will need to submit a separate application for your certificate – but only if it is a University certificate (requires 24 or more credit hours to complete).  If the certificate is a departmental certificate (requires fewer than 24 hrs to complete), then you do not submit an application through myEKU.


Q. If I am earning a DOUBLE MAJOR, will I have to pay two fees?

A. No, you are still earning only one bachelors degree.  That degree is the one associated with your first major.  You will be charged only one graduation fee of $50 for that baccalaureate degree.  However you do need to submit two applications – one application for each major – so remember to submit a 2nd application to get the 2nd major listed on your transcript. 


Q.  I am earning a DOUBLE MAJOR but was billed a 2nd graduation fee.  Is that right?

A.  No, you should be charged only one fee.  If you happen to get billed a 2nd graduation fee your College Graduation Expert for your major will be happy to have that 2nd fee reversed.


Q. What is the difference between “DOUBLE MAJOR” and “DUAL DEGREE”?

1. DOUBLE MAJOR = The student earns one bachelor degree and receives only one diploma.  There is a 2nd area of study (2nd major), but the student has not earned enough hours to complete an additional bachelor degree.  The student’s transcript will state that the student earned one degree with two major areas of study.  

2. DUAL DEGREE = The student completed all requirements for two separate bachelor degree programs - earning at least 150 credit hours - and thus will receive two diplomas.  The student’s transcript will list two separate baccalaureate degrees in different disciplines.


Q. What does the graduation fee cover?

A.  The graduation fee covers processing, production, and mailing of the EKU diploma as well as the complementary official transcript sent to each graduating student.  Students pay a graduation fee for each diploma produced.  One diploma = one graduation fee.  Students with double majors pay one graduation fee.  Students earning two degrees  - dual degree earners - pay two graduation fees, one for each degree earned.  Two degrees = two graduation fees.


Q. I am earning two degrees.  I plan to receive two diplomas.  Do I pay two graduation fees?

A.  Yes, you pay a graduation fee for each diploma produced.  You are considered a “Dual Degree” student. The graduation fee covers processing, production, and mailing of your diplomas and complementary graduating transcripts.  Two diplomas = two graduation fees.  It is important that your College Graduation Expert knows you are DUAL DEGREE – if this is not noted on your record, and on your Degree Works, then you will only receive one degree and only one diploma.

Open /*deleted href=#openmobile*/